So,do you know all of those really cool barn doors you see on tv remodeling shows and on Pinterest? You know the vintage looking barn doors that are on sliders or rails that people are putting up in their homes?
(the ones that cost over $200.00 just for the hardware?)
Well,hubby and I put our creative minds together and made our own for the Art Barn!
Riley says,you know what would be cool? How about a sliding barn door hanging off the loft?
I was-yup,yup-I'm all for it!
To be honest,we did go to Lowe's and and a few rehab stores to look first,and well,sticker shock sent us flying back home to check our stash!
Last fall on my way home from the hairdresser,I spied a beautiful 10 foot 6 panel solid wood vintage door on the curb,sadly destined for trash pickup.I made time getting home,grabbed Riley and the truck and said let's go!
Good thing too,because that became the base of our Art Barn sliding door!
(btw,the trash haulers were just down the street when we got there-in the nic of time!)
Warning:Totally photo heavy post! so make sure your cup is full!
The first thing we did was to measure and cut out the space for the window we were to use.
The original color was a pale yellow on one side and even paler on the other.
|piece cut out for window|
Once the center was cut out and window nailed into place, my creative and resourceful husband cut strips from the removed piece to use as trim around the window.
I had four of these windows I had bought well over 8 years ago from Craig's list
(before used materials became
over-priced expensive)We used another of the windows on our porch renovation and sold the 2 broken windows at a yard sale.
Next,a bit of caulking and little more scraping,leaving some of the found original Olive Green paint showing as well.
Ahhh, my favorite part....
Brushed on a liberal layer of Weathered Wood Crackle Medium and let dry over night.
In the morning using Americana Snow White acrylic,I thinned it down with a bit of water and brushed it over the door,some places heavier than others.
|if you look closely you can see the Weathered Wood already started to do it's business.|
Let the crackling begin!
Once the crackling had dried,I used DecoArt Chalky Finish totally thinned down with water and brushed over the door wiping back areas as I went...here are the yummy results
(shows much darker in the close ups,but the actual seen in full length door photos)
Is that crackle gorgeous or what??
Looks pretty well worn to me!
All that was left to do now was add the hardware.
The hardware,we have no idea what they are; found them at a barn sale and had to have them!
If you have a clue, please share!
The rollers came off our the doors that were originally on our barn when we bought the place
|sorry for the blurr|
For the doorplate I used a piece of Spellbinders Media Mixage and ran it through my embosser using an Em-bossing plate.
Next I gently brushed on and wiped off DecoArt Blackboard Paint
added a piece of porcelian I found dump digging when I was a kid
a new old stock doorknob and plate,a rusty slider, a bit of brass decor and a marble in the middle!
So there you have it...
We now have a $300-400(at least) "new old" barn door!
Our cost-all supplies on hand already.
Thanks so much for your visit and I hope I have inspired you today! Go Green!
DecoArt WeatheredWood Crackle Medium
DecoArt Americana~Snow(Titanium)White Acrylic
DecoArt Chalkboard Paint
DecoArt Chalky Finish~Rustic
Paintable Acrylic caulk
Spellbinders~EmBossing Plate~Persian Splendor
Spellbinders Media Mixage Foil~Copper color
found vintage items
Thank you for your visit!